Monday 30 April 2012

Making My Book

Once I started to gain some control over my symptoms, I started work on my book. First off I drew the line art for the pages. Most of the time I just drew it straight onto the page, but sometimes I decided to draw figures separately and then incorporate them onto the page.


The next stage was adding the colour with inks. To do this, and to keep the line art I had drawn, I enlisted the help of my trusty light box. With this, I was able to place a piece of watercolour paper over the line art whilst light box was on, and paint over the areas in the colours that I required.


  


The next step that was needed was to place the ink washes under my line art in the appropriate areas using layering in Adobe Photoshop. For example, the brown washes were placed under the hair and full page colour washes for backgrounds were placed right at the back. Once the line art and ink washes were in place, I started to add in speech bubbles and text where needed. 


For the front covers I repeated some of the same processes. I did the line art for them, placed the images where I needed them to be, then layered the images with the washes I had done. I placed the titles where I wanted them to be on the front cover, The main title at the top and the sub title at the bottom. For the background colour I ended up using a dribbled green watercolour wash I had created on watercolour paper.


For the inside parts of the cover of the book, I ended up creating a collage of famous book covers to relate to the literary domain of the library.


Once I had finished the images on Photoshop, I printed the inside pages of the book at home on my home printer. I then used the printers at Uni to print both sides of my cover on A3 card (inside cover and outside cover). The final stages were to then to use the Uni's book binder to stick the pages of each book to each separate cover, all 16 copies I made! Finally I used a guillotine to cut the books down to make them look all neat and tidy. All done and dusted! 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment