Wednesday 25 April 2012

Artist Research

For my project, I wanted to be able to present my stories in a comical and sometimes bizarre way. To help me gain ideas of how to possibly present images this way, I decided to look up underground comix artists such as Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton, Kim Deitch and S. Clay Wilson. These artists are known for their exaggerated style when presenting people's emotions or behaviours, which not only set them apart from the mainstream market (making them easy to distinguish), but also made the stories appear more comical.


For using elements of exaggeration in my work, I also turned to looking at political caricaturists/cartoonists to see how they present politicians in a comical manner. One artist that stood out for me was the work of James Gillray. Gillray would create political and social satires by exaggerating certain features of people involved with the issues at the time. For example, poking fun at a person's weight by making them enormous, or making a very thin person appear as thin as a stick insect. He would look at a person's unattractive features and greatly point them out for all the world to see.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment